Friday, January 9, 2009

Christmas in The Jungle, New Years on the Beach

I have been successfully keeping my goal of staying out of La Libertad since Christmas So successful that my neighbor asked me, "Do you still live here anymore?"

One exciting thing that happened in La Libertad recently was that my soccer team, Reina de La Paz (Queen of Peace) won our club league championship. Although I didn't play in the Finals (I didn't play at all in the second half of the season), it was nice to see the guys win it all. After the Finals, we had a big party and we all got medals. I won't mention my lack of playing time, just that I was a member of a South American Championship fĂștbol team.

The big news in Ecuador is that the President decided in December to default on Ecuador's bonded debt. For more info, check out http://www.rgemonitor.com/latam-monitor/255019/the_curious_case_of_ecuadors_default__and_why_it_matters . With the rapid fall in crude oil prices, the leftist Correa government is up the proverbial creek. They've been promising a lot (and delivering) to the poor and indigenous populations. Now the money may start to run out. If things don't get better, I could see Ecuador practicing its national pastime...kicking out the current President.

I spent Christmas Eve in La Libertad with my neighbors. It is Ecuadorian tradition to have turkey for Christmas, but turkey is so expensive that usually only city folk can afford it. My neighbor Carlos decided to splurge, and got a turkey this year, so it was a big deal. When he brought it home, I asked how he was going to cook it. He said, "I don't know. I was hoping that you'd cook it." After that, I put myself in charge of dinner. I baked the turkey and a chicken, made gravy and mashed potatoes, bought some cranberry sauce, and baked some cookies. That along with some veggies and a couple of bottles of good wine that Carlos got from his work made it a special occasion. There were 15 of us piled into their kitchen stuffing ourselves and laughing. It was one of the best nights I've had in La Libertad.



On Christmas day I went to the jungle to visit some friends. We made dinner of chicken, stuffing, tatters, and my now famous corn, butter, cream cheese, and garlic side dish, "This is delicious...and so low in calories!!" The next day, a lot of people from my Omnibus showed up and we all went out of the city to a cabin near a nature reserve where we all had Christmas again. More good food and good times.

I hung out at the jungle enjoying the weather/weekend until New Year's Eve when we went down to the beach. It was hot and beautiful and at midnight we were all standing on the beach underneath several fireworks displays...what a way to ring in 2009.

Now that I'm back in La Libertad I'm going to get stuff organized for my move to Quito. We finished work at out last garden, so now all I have to do is figure out who is going to get all my stuff (some of it I already promised to certain neighbors...as much as a year ago)

I hope you all had a fun and relaxing Christmas and New Year. I'm looking forward to seeing you all before 2009 gets too old.

No comments: