Sunday, October 12, 2008

Two Small Failures & One Big Success



A couple of weeks ago one of my friends sent me a text message about climbing one of the big Ecuadorian mountains (Cotopaxi, Chimborazo, or Cayambe). Since you need a guide, equipment, and a couple hundred bucks to climb the big guys, I really don´t want to. The way the weather is down here, you are more than likely to get to the top and not be able to see 10 feet in front of your face. Instead, I suggested that we climb the Ilinizas which are easier to do and don´t cost anything. My friend liked the idea, and what started out as two or three people hiking turned into eleven of us.

We spent the night at a hostel in the town near me and woke up the next day at 5:30. The weather was bad the night before, but it looked like it was going to clear up. Unfortunately, it got worse as we climbed. About half-way to the refuge (which itself is about half-way up the mountain) it started to snow. We hiked another hour or so up the trail in the snow and wind. It was nice to see a little different weather, but once we got to the refuge, it was clear that we had to turn around.

Of course, the next day the weather was better, but that´s they way it goes.
It was nice to see everyone, and five of the volunteers from my group got to see my site for the first time. A couple people mentioned that if they were stuck in La Libertad, they wouldn´t have been able to take the cold and the rain and probably would have quit. That strikes me as funny because one of the girls who said that lives in the jungle and her entire town is infested with rats. I know for sure that I couldn´t have lived there. I think we all are able to adapt to whatever difficulties that we have, but think that we couldn´t deal with someone else´s situation…the grass is always browner on the other side!

Another nice thing about the visit was that one of the girls who came is an expert in yogurt manufacture. I organized a workshop for the ladies in my town to learn what we need to do. I invited around 15 women to come to my house the day before our hike, but when we were supposed to start, only 2 showed up. We still did some stuff, but it definitely was a lost opportunity.

So, those are the two failures, now for the success. A couple of weeks ago, I applied for a job with the Peace Corps office. The position is called “PCV Co-Trainer” and this week my boss called and told me that I got the job. Basically, two volunteers are chosen from each program to help with the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the training of each new Omnibus. As of January 19th, I will be leaving La Libertad to work in Quito and the training site (I don´t know exactly where this will be, but it has been in Cayambe for the last couple years). I very excited about the opportunity and it is going to be a huge lifestyle change. Not only will I be working in cities, but I´ll also be in a lot of meetings, I´ll have more specific responsibilities, and I´ll be living with at least three other Americans (the other Co-Trainers). This is going to look great on my resume, and it is going to help with my transition back to a “normal” life after the Peace Corps. Also, I will only need to stay in Ecuador for a couple more weeks (I´m not sure of the details, but I think instead of finishing on April 20th, I´ll be done sometime towards the middle of May). It will also be nice because I´ll leave La Libertad, but be able to come back and visit. Mike, the previous volunteer here, left and even though he was working in Quito, never came back. I think this did a lot to damage the way people here think about his time in town. Instead of remembering all that he did, they just talk about him never visiting.

Anyway, I only have three months left here, and although I´m sure I will miss some of the people, I can´t wait to start on something different.

Finally, it was great to see that the Cubs were able to continue their hot streak in the Playoffs. 100 years of futility…wow!!! Here is a picture of a hat I bought to rub the Dodger´s victory in the face of a friend of mine who is a big Cub fan.

No comments: