Sunday, April 13, 2008

Chiquito Postito - Small Post

Things have been busy here (I can tell by the lack of progress on the collection of short stories that I´m currently reading), but slow (I can tell by the lack of stories to write about) this week. I was able to go top Latacunga las Saturday to watch the UNC game. Unfortunately, Carolina lost, and even more depressing was that that was the first full live college basketball game I saw all year.

We are getting started on the chicken project finally. I had a short meeting after we finished working all day in the community bank this week. We now have a rough idea of the next few steps that we have to take. Everyone is excited to get started (including myself). I´m trying to keep their expectations low because we may not get funded. I talked to my boss about the project and she said it was a good idea and suggested that everyone work individually instead of in a big group. She thinks that this will cause less problems amongst the group and even though we will lose some of the "team building" benefits, it will work out better. The ladies were all very excited to learn that they could work by themselves which shows how little they trust each other (even Sisters were happy they didn´t have to work together).

Also, my boss and I talked about trying some value-added projects with the onions we grow. She said that she had just talked to a guy who works for a large food processing company in Ecuador that is always on the look out for more product to buy. She said that his company sells onions packaged in vinegar and can´t get enough raw material. She thought it´d be a good match, so she started to write down his information for me. I said that I´d never seen the long white onions that we grow packaged that way. She stopped writing, looked at me, and then throw away the guys info. "I forgot that you only grow those types of onions. You can´t do anything with those." she said.

Got some bad news this week. One of my friends decided to quit. His work wasn´t going well and his Grandmother recently got very sick. He thought he´d be of more use at home, so he left. Another very good friend got kicked out of PC. She had been traveling a lot without telling anyone. She wasn´t happy in her ste and had an Ecuadorian boyfriend in the city near her, so she spent a lot of time there. It sucks that she is leaving because she was one of the few people I talked to regularly, but I think she´ll be happier in the US.

No comments: