Sunday, July 1, 2007

Finishing the Fun with Female Fowl

How´s that for alliteration! [For those of you who didn´t read the last post, you may want to do that now. This is the second pat of a "To Be Continued..."]

3) Hen Games - Last Sunday I went with the family to the next town over for the Fiesta de San Juan (St. John the Baptist). We got there around noon and first thing, headed to church for mass. It was packed, so we had to stand in the back. I almost left after 10 minutes because it was so crowded and stuffy that I couldn´t breath. People were smashing me, but since I was in church, I thought it better to leave than to punch an old lady in the face. I ended up staying because I didn´t want the family to think I was weak.

After Church, we jumped in the back of a truck and drove across town to a house party. I didn´t know who lived there or why we went there, but we showed up, ate lunch, and then took off. Free lunch, I´m not complaining. We then walked back to town and headed up to the soccer field. The young son said we were going to the "Juegos de Gallinas". This would translate into "Hen Games". I thought this would be some kind of feminist Cock-Fight, but I was way off. The soccer field was packed with about 1,000 people drinking and dancing and a lot of guys and girls on horseback. I had seen the riders earlier when we first got into town, and I remember wondering why the all were holding chickens. Now I found out why. The riders were all at one end of the field and took turns riding around waving their chickens windmill style. The people in the field were waiting fr the riders to come by them so that they could grab a chicken to take home and eat. That was the game! Drunk horse riders swinging live chickens while riding full blast through a crowd of drunken chicken fiends. We just stood by the side and watched the craziness. I´m surprised that no one got hurt, although I heard that in the past, people had been seriously injured. I did see a couple of guys get run over, but they got up, brushed themselves off, and walked away smiling. When all the chickens had been grabbed, the people stayed to drink and dance. I knew one of the girls on a horse, so she let me ride for a while. The people got a kick out of seeing the 6´2" Gringo on a tiny horse. I told them that next time I´d need a bigger ride. They gave me a cowboy hat and a chicken to hold and everybody took pictures. I don´t know if they were laughing at me or with me, but at least I was entertaining.
After this we hung around for a while and then went back into town. The party was just getting really started (6 stages with music and a ton of people dancing and drinking), but it was time to go. I wish I could have stayed, but I thought it was better to stay with the family. It was funny though. When I went to dance with a friend while we were waiting, the family made me give them my phone to hold so I wouldn´t lose it again. Apparently I have gotten a reputation for not being able to hold my phone while dancing.

It is summer now and very windy, so I´ve had a problem taking a shower. I know you´re wondering, "What does wind have to do with showering?", but since my water heater is outside, it matters a lot. I got sick of the flame blowing out three time a shower and getting frozen, so I built a wind break out of feed sacks, plastic string, rocks, sticks, and old tires. So far it has worked like a charm and my twice a week shower is bearable again.

I played some stickball with the kids this week using a tennis ball and a broom stick. The kids couldn´t hit, so I hit all the time and they fetched the balls. It was nice to swing a bat again, and I think my wind aided longest hit of about 275 feet may be a new La Libertad record.

On the subject of Baseball, here are some Latin American terms that I like. "Punchar". This means to strike out. The noun is "Puncha", as in "Two strikes, Wainwright on the mound, the pitch...PUNCHA!! Cardinals win the World Series." Also, a pitcher is called a "Lanzador", and a batter is a "Bateador".
The two-year old girl of the family was sick the other day and for medicine, they singed a handful of weeds and rubbed it all over her body. Next, the Grandmother took a big swig of cane alcohol and spit it over the girls chest and face. I don´t know if the alcohol evaporates and cools the body, or if it dissolves the oils in the plant and helps it absorb, but as for as home remedies go, I´ll take Chicken Noodle Soup. (Note: Karol was much better the next day, and now is 100%).

I finally got sheets for my bed this week, so for the first time in two months, I´m sleeping out of my sleeping bag. My two blankets aren´t enough though, so I put the bag on top of me. I guess under is better than in, and I should be getting an electric blanket from a friend soon, so I´ll be fine.

No comments: