Sunday, March 18, 2007

Viva La Libertad

I have a couple minutes while I'm at the PC HQ in Quito on my way to La Libertad for the 8 day visit, so I thought I'd post the info I have on my site and job duties...

LA LIBERTAD
"Association Nueva Vida"
Sierra - Cotopaxi
Site Characteristics:
La Libertad ias a small agricultural community of about 400 inhabitants (1200 in the wider area) located in the sierran province of Cotopaxi. It is a hilly area with a relatively cold climate and a rainy season from November to April. It is one of the most productive areas in the country for onions potatoes, and small animals, The people are predominately mestizos and all speak Spanish as their primary language. Local incomes are low at around $120/month, but they have been improving along with local nutrition, The volunteer will be colaborating with an established micro-credit organization, the local irrigation group, and other community based organizations.
Primary Activities:
- Supporting the activities of the community bank and womens' group, Nueva Vida
- Collaborating with the school and high school in agriculture and animal projects
- Supporting and developing small business projects to provide additional income
- Working with the local irrigation group to improve their system and diversify production
- The implementation of an organic family garden project
Secondary Activities:
- Teaching agriculture classes at the colegio
- Reforestation
__________________________________________
I hope this gives you an idea of what I'm supposed to do. In reality it may be this plus other stuff or none of this at all. I pretty much is up to what is going on and what I feel I can assist with. I'm mostly excited about the small-business and irrigation stuff because I think that is where I can help the most.
Anyway, bye for now and go TARHEELS!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated 29th birthday! You know how I love birthdays! I hope you were able to celebrate a little. . .even if it were just with a year old bud! I did have fun in Vegas for you and drank more than enough Bud for the both of us! I am sorry about UNC loss, I too had them going to the final 4 and my bracket got all messed up! Finally, congratulations on finding your 2 year destination! Hopefully I will be able to visit. . .I am aiming for 2008. Ireland first, then the equator or bust! Miss you brother!